Monday, October 3, 2011

Just fishin'...




I'm lost with her there holding that pink rod and reel.

She's doing almost everything but sitting still.

Talkin' 'bout her ballet shoes and training wheels..and her kittens.

And she thinks we're just fishin'.

I say "Daddy loves you, baby" one more time.
She says, "I know, I think I've got a bite."
And all this laughing, crying, smiling, dying here inside is what I call living.
And she thinks we're just fishin' by the riverside, throwing back what we could fry, drowning worms and killing time.

Nothing too ambitious.

She ain't even thinkin' 'bout what's really going on right now

but I guarantee this memory's a big'un.

And she thinks were just fishin'


I heard this song the other day for the 1st time. It brought tears to my eyes and I thought about my dad and I fishing together. Then my mom reminded me of this story:

Your dad took you fishing when we were camping. You kept wanting his help and he said "Kelsey, quit bothering me." You got big crocodile tears. He felt so bad, he put down his pole, picked up yours and taught you had to fish. When you came back to camp he told me what happend and how badly he felt. He said "I"ve caught fish before, and I'll catch them again" I don't ever want to say that again. I'm sure there were times we both put "us " first, but I know that we always tried to put you girls first---Mom


And this is what I remember about my dad. He and my mom always put us 1st and that is how they raised us and it was very evident in all their actions. When dad took us out on the boat he would drag us aroud that lake until we couldn't stand anymore. Then and only then did he get out his fishing pole. He never told us to hurry and finish sking because he was ready to fish.

Those moments on the boat and sitting on the side of a river bank weren't just about fishing, which I didn't learn until I was older and had a baby girl of my own. It is not about the things we do, it is about being together and knowing, beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are loved by your parents. That love and those lessons are now being passed on to our kids through us and it is amazing how I realize the sacrifices my parents made for us as we were growing up. But I also see as a parent, you don't even care, you are thankful and grateful to make those sacrifices. I am so thankful to experience those important moments with Madelynn and know that it is more than just "fishing."



(Song - She thinks were just fishin" by Trace Atkins")

1 comment:

  1. Smiling through my tears as I read this. Thank you for the blog, it means so much to me to read and share with you,

    ReplyDelete