Saturday, October 1, 2011

It's not time yet...

I realized today that I often write about my dad but there is some great advice my mom has given over the year and maybe I should share those stories while she is still here to read them.

So, back to what led me down the thought path...

I took Madelynn for her 1st hair cut today (no, she doesn't have much hair, but it was just sticking out everywhere). She did fantastic. Her babysitter Julie and Lollie (her mom) where there to take pictures and then they took her while I got my hair done. Sandi getting started...
she loved it

All done and big smiles!

The finished product...just a little trim but she looks so cute. I hope it will be thicker now.

She was so happy and didn't even cry and neither did I. Then I got to thinking about these little milestones and I don't really ever cry when they occur. I reflected on my sisters' stories about some of their kids' first; and same as me, no tears. Is there something wrong with us? Should we be crying? Should we be more emotional about these stepping stones in life? Maybe it was the way we were raised. My parents never seemed to get very emotional (not that there is anything wrong with it, they just seemed to be happy for us during these moments) as we approached new challenges, stages, and risks in life. Even when they left me at college; none of us cried.

My mom just seemed to have a good outlook on life and taking it as it came. I remember when I was about 9 or 10 I was very upset one night and my mom asked what was wrong. "I am afraid to go to middle school." She said, "Of course you are, you are only 9, it's not time yet. When you are 11 it will be time for middle school and you will be ready. You don't have to worry about it until then." Sure enough, when I got to middle school and I totally ready (not that I wasn't a little nervous that day) and I did great.

I guess I didn't learn my lesson because a few years later when I was 12 I was upset and I told my mom I was scared to go to high school (typical me, always planning ahead and not just happy to live in today) and worried about doing well. Again she said, "Of course you are, you are only 12, it's not time yet. When you are 14 you will be ready and you will do great." She was right. When the time came I was ready.

Maybe that is where our outlook came from. As things come we just enjoy it and realize that it is time for that event in our life. Not that getting her 1st hair cut wasn't nostalgic and sweet, but I was ready for it, it was time.

3 comments:

  1. Her hair is so cute and curly in the back! Bruce had LONG curls as a baby because my mom knew that once she cut them, his hair wouldn't be curly anymore (we'll have to see if she has any pictures.)

    I am not a crier as a mom, either. I did the happy dance on the first day of kindergarten for ALL of my kids. Every so often, I feel a little nostalgic and bittersweet about how fast they are growing up, but I don't think I've ever cried at a new stage. Once when I expressed that I would miss a certain stage (probably sometime in the first year) my mom said, "It's what is supposed to happen. It would be really sad if they never grew up." I think it's a healthy attitude to have as a parent, and the kids can feel that and therefore meet the next phase with optimism and confidence.

    You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, both of our mom's have a good outlook on life. Maybe that is why Bruce is so good and just taking things as they come. I have seen a picture somewhere of Bruce and his curls. I don't have many baby pics of him. Hopefully she will find some more as she gets ready for Marie's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kelsey! Her hair looks so sweet. We're taking Pip to get her first haircut this weekend. We've had enough of the mullet. :)

    ReplyDelete