Monday, September 26, 2011

These games....

As I look back on our games from last week, mine and Bruce's, it is not a pretty sight. My girls were 10-goaled by Farmington and Bruce's team was also mercy ruled. It is so hard when you feel like you do the best you can to condition and train and prepare your kids for everything that might come down the field. When the whistle blows and there is still time on the clock there is nothing harder as a coach or athlete. It is very hard not to take these games personally and really reflect on what you should have done differently. I saw my girls with tears in their eyes and their heads hung low and my heart hurt for them.

My coaching friend reminded me that "These games do not define us." Loosing or winning does not define us; they are just games. What defines us is our character in these situations and how we handle ourselves. Our words and actions towards others are what define us and show our true character. As my girls had their heads hung down and their spirits crushed they began to fight with each other on the field and even put each other down. I realized later that this is what I needed to do differently. Teach them how to learn from these situations and how to come out on top even when you are on the bottom.

In 10 or 20 years they may not even remember these "games" but they will remember their reactions to the challenges in life. These games do not define who they are or who I am as a coach; it is how we come through these storms that shows those around us who we live for and what is really important in life.



"If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Gal 1:10



"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the lord, not for men...It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Col. 3:23-24



What defines you?

No comments:

Post a Comment