Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Do you have guidelines for childraising?





What, Mom? I'm not doing anything wrong.








"Madelynn, don't stand on that chair"




I can still hear the words I was saying in both of these instances. One thing I found amazing as Madelynn has grown is how quickly the disciplining has started. She is just a little baby and we already have to think about how we respond in certain situations and the lessons we are already teaching her. Before she was born I probably had four books next to my bed that I would read about what to expect and how to laugh through it and how to be prepared, but then once she was born we just went with the flow each day. I never really thought about or wrote our what my goals were.




My Bible study the other day was about guidelines for parenting and in it I was encouraged to write out 5 Guideline or Rules for Childraising. I had never thought about this before or even tried to put them into words. So this is what I came up with so far:




1. Never make a promise or threat you are not willing to go through with (this was advice Bruce gave me when I first started teaching and I think it still applies)




2. Start training your child early in the way you want them to go (Proverbs 22:6)




3. Don't sweat the small stuff --- Choose your battles




4. Make your kids a priority everyday




5. Treat your kids with respect, as people, not as equals, but respectfully ( I feel this is somehting my parents did very well when they were raising us and in turn we respected them)








I asked Bruce what his 5 would be. He had trouble coming up with some. He shared my 1st one (I guess that is ok because it came from him in the first place). I hope he has some I can post in the next couple of days.




I would love to hear from you guys. Even if you are not a follower on my blog, email me some of your guidelines and I will complie them into a list. I am sure over the years my list will change and grow, but there will always be a basic foundation that I am sure we will try to follow.

4 comments:

  1. I honestly have to say that you nailed mine right on the money! My biggest one is the Choose your battles, and there will be many. Having a six year old who has battled us from day 1 on everything, you definitely learn when it is worth the fight.

    The never making a promise or threat you cannot keep is HUGE in my life as a parent. It goes right along with the picking your battles for me. The consequences I have to dish out to him have to be something I intend to keep or the battle is worthless.

    The respect one is definitely one I have learned as well. If you don't treat them with respect how will they learn to treat you and others with respect?

    Making your kids a priority everyday is my life. I want them to know how important and special they are to me so they can have the confidence and security to make a wonderful life for themselves.

    One other thing I strongly use as a guideline in parenting is - Follow Your Instincts - If it just feels wrong or you feel uneasy or unsure about it - DON'T DO IT - God has given us as parents and people a great set of instincts to help us and sometimes we don't trust our own feelings. When it comes to my kids, if my gut says no - then NO! You have to do what is right for YOU and YOUR child, and sometimes things that other parents do or are ok with is not ok for you or your child and that is YOUR choice as a parent.

    I hope this is what you were looking for in a response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never be too busy that you can't stop to be a super hero, have a tea party or read a book. Time will pass all too quickly and one day they won't want to wear a cape, ask you "one lump ot two?" or bring you the book you know by heart because it is the billionth time you've read it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best advice Michael and I have been given is that being a good parent means putting your spouse first--a strong marriage makes good parents.

    I have been reading the book "Loving the Little Years" by Rachel Jankovic, and two things she wrote stuck with me: "Your children are not a situation" and "...cultivate an attitude of sacrifice. Sacrifice your peace for their fun. Your clean kitchen floor for their help cracking eggs ... Prioritize your children far and away above the other work you need to get done. They are the only part of your work that really matters." Great book if you are looking for a replacement to "What to Expect..."!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it guys, these are great. I have such smart, wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete