Sunday, September 18, 2011

Parenting Guidelines....continued

Some of my friends commented on this, but I was really hoping to hear from more so if you would like to add to this list please feel free to send me more advice to add.

1. Go with your instincts
2. Never be too busy that you can't stop to be a super hero or have a tea party or read a book
3. Build a strong marriage...that builds strong kids
4. Your children are not a situation - so cultivate a attitude of sacrifice
5. Notice your children when they come into a room and let them know you are happy to see them
6. Each child is different and has unique needs for love, affection, and discipline
7. Love your kids in a way they can understand
8. Make eye contact
9. Hug them like you mean it
10. Never say never about something your kids might do....Just be ready to handle it and love them when they get off track.

I hope this list will continue to grow as others have time to add onto this. What great advice from some amazing people.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with all of them. I guess a few I've learned are:

    - each child is different and will require different forms of discipline, attention and love. the same thing won't necessarily work on each of your kids.

    - you have to love your kids in a way that they can understand. no matter how much you love them, if they don't see it, you're not doing it right and you may need to try a different way of communicating that love.

    that's all i can think of now, i'll add some more as i think of them, and or learn them for myself!

    (ps - you're doing a great job!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lydia. I was hoping to hear from you and Marie; I knew you would have great advice. I hope all is going well. I know you guys are busy...it is crazy around here and we only have one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all that has been written. Parenting is a hard job and we are all just trying to figure it out! Kelsey, I think you are an awesome Mom! Here are a few that I came up with....

    Be Consistent! If a child senses you might wobble, they will push.

    Listen, Listen, Listen. When your child wants to talk, actively listen. I know it's tempting to "multi-task" but don't. Sit down and really LISTEN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great Jane. Thanks for the reminder. It is amazing how there are so many cross-overs in parenting and teaching that I am noticing. Maybe I have just been practicing to be a mom all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Number 5 is something I have to make an effort to do. I try to give them eye contact too.
    Another good one is hug them like you really mean it. I love a long lingering hug.

    ReplyDelete