Saturday, February 21, 2015

When you give a kid a cookie...

Today I spent time making cookies for a Monday night meal I am serving in a couple of weeks (we have a ministry that serves people in Bloomfield who need a free meal once a week and it is a wonderful time).  This is my second meal to cook (with some help) and I really feel blessed being able to help.  Usually Madelynn and I are on visit/clean-up because of work, I can't cook that often.  Ok, not the point of my post here.  

So, I was making cookies today because I just feel like it is something special I can do for the people I serve to make the meal a little extra special.  And, seriously, who doesn't like a homemade chocolate chip cookie?!  Then I got to thinking about the simple act of making something for someone else and I remembered a special guy in my life as a teenager who made (and still makes) the most amazing cookies.  Gary Shaffer, you know who you are.  I am sure there are kids in the Corrales/Paradise Hills area who have wonderful memories of this special, heart-felt treat.  And I got to thinking about what an amazing ministry this was.

Now, I am sure the first time he was going to make cookies for a Young Life night he was not thinking, "These cookies are so amazing and they are going to teach these kids about the love of Christ."  Ok, if he really did think that he was right on!  But more likely it was a simple gesture to make us all feel welcome and at home as they taught many, I am MANY, kids about Christ and how to have a closer walk with Him.  I have memories of receiving cookies when I graduated, when I stopped by just to say hi and a special batch when Dad died.  Just thinking about them makes me hungry and warms my heart.   

I really don't think that Sherrie and Gary realized the impact that a simple batch of cookies (I wonder how many he has actually made over the years) would have on the lives of the teens in that area.  I know that my wonderful brother-in-law is a product of those cookies.  He is the husband, leader of his family and in his church and he is my brother in Christ because of those cookies (and all the teaching and guidance that came with them).  But that simple act opened the door for many conversations and questions and teachings that have brought many kids closer to Christ or even introduced some of them to Him for the very first time.  All because of a simple cookie.  I know that my love for studying The Word has a lot to do with the lessons I learned from them so long ago.

I know what you are thinking, "Really Kelsey, I think you are getting a bit philosophical about some cookies!"  I don't think I am.  When you spend time making someone cookies (or anything else for that matter) you are telling them, "I think you are important enough for me to spend time on you.  I value you and want you to know that you are important."  I know I could go buy cookies at the store and they would enjoy them, but I want the people I server to know that I think they are important enough for me to spend time making them cookies.  So yes, I think a cookie really can be a ministry.  I think anything God places in our life, and we do it with a heart of serving others, can be a ministry, and that we have to use it as an opportunity to tell others about the love of Christ.  
Jesus gives us an example of this in Matthew:
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me"
...."Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?.....
......"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sister of mine, you did for me" Matt 25:31-46

While I was reading Oswald Chambers a couple of weeks ago he talked about being spiritually exhausted.  Jesus tells us to "Feed his sheep" meaning to serve others and pour ourselves into serving others for Christ.  God will take care of renewing and rekindling us, but it is our job to "Feed his sheep" and pour ourselves out for one another.  So, I am off to make more cookies and I thank God for "cookie ministries" and all the other ways He can use us.

2 comments:

  1. We may never know the value of a seed planted until we reach heaven. Until then, keep sowing cookies in Jesus' name, and being the blessing that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may never know the value of a seed planted until we reach heaven. Until then, keep sowing cookies in Jesus' name, and being the blessing that you are!

    ReplyDelete