Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Feeling like I belong...

I had such a wonderful experience over Christmas of getting to meet someone in the exact same position as me.  I met a delightful family in ABQ whose son has cri du chat.  He is 2 1/2 and so happy and loving.  I have felt ok, most days, since Annika's diagnosis, but there is something about being in a room with someone who has actually walked in your shoes that makes you feel so comfortable.  We have not had all the exact experiences, no parent does, but we had enough similarities that it just felt good to be in their presence.  They have been at this longer than me so it was very encouraging to see Tyler crawl across the floor and pull himself up and all the other wonderful things he was doing.  It was interesting to share stories about when we first found out and our different experiences with doctors.  I know that our kids will not be the exact same and there will be things that each of them do differently than the other, but there was a sense of belonging that I had not had since Annika was born and I liked it.

I remember reading this letter when I first found out about Annika and it tore my heart out.  Now looking back a year later I decided to read it again.  It is so beautiful and so true about all the feelings I have felt.  Get a Kleenex out and read Welcome to Holland


 Still makes me cry when I read it today.  And the last part is so important, if you don't enjoy where you are in life, today - no matter what child God have gifted you with - you will never enjoy Holland and all the beauty it has to offer.  I have been having some tough days, as I always do when Annika has trouble eating, and I try so hard to look at all the amazing things she is doing.  She is changing so much, at her rate, and it is exciting that I get to be a part of it.  So enjoy whatever trip you are on and look for the positive sites as you tour around.  God will show you the very best sites to see and get you into the very best attractions if you are willing to trust Him each step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment