Thursday, May 20, 2010

Good intentions

HOLY SH**!!!!! That is what I was yelling in my driveway this morning as my class cake pan smashed into the concrete. I got up early to make my friend a birthday cake. It smelled so good. It WAS this earthquake cake with pecans, coconut, German chocolate cake and cream cheese swirled into the top. I have been telling my friends about this amazing cake and now it is in my trash can.
Of course I was running late, had too many things in my hands, was talking on the phone and as I tried to hold the pan with one hand and open the door with the other the cake hit the deck!!! As I looked down at the steaming, yummy cake I found myself thinking, "I wonder if any of that doesn't have glass in it..." What was I thinking? I snapped out of the chocolate cake coma and went to find a broom (which I couldn't find because we never use one-I always use the vacuum cleaner) and when I finally did, I scooped up the cake and plopped it into the trash can. I found myself crying over a stupid cake and going through all the "if onlys" in my head. This is really not like me. But as my mom would say, "If this is the worst thing that has ever happened to you, you are in pretty good shape." (and heaven knows it is not) And as my father would say, "Caca pasa, Shit happens. Like your wounds and move on." Or in this case, scoop up the cake and glass and get your butt to work, you are late! So, I am sure I will laugh about this each time I see the spot on the driveway and maybe I will learn slow down and take my time. God can even work in spilled, broken cake. He is amazing!

3 comments:

  1. Aww...I heard this story in person and it was great! ;) I'm sorry! Isn't it funny how God wants to teach you a lesson until you're rushing around? Hahaha...well my friend you did have the greatest intentions. Remember there is no time limit on love and generosity. I am sure whoever the cake was for knows and understands this. It's okay...it's material, it can always be redone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh, that makes me so sad! all that work for nothing! my friend's mom once stayed up until 3 am to can peaches and then slipped and dropped all of them down the basement stairs. at least the mess is outside and can be hosed off. you poor thing!

    ReplyDelete