Sunday, August 28, 2011

Me? June Cleaver?...I think not






When I picture June Cleaver I see a beautiful woman in her apron tiding an already tidy house, preparing dinner at 5:30, pressing the clothes, checking on the kids and their homework, and awaiting the arrival of her husband and I think, "Where in the heck is Ward to help her?"
I have often found myself griping or merely stating that if Bruce had to coordinate this house he wouldn't even know where to start. I tell him when the baby needs to eat, when there are appointments, what the plans are for next weekend and who's taking Madelynn during practice. The list goes on and at times I begrudge him the he just gets to ease through his day and just do the things he is told. Why doesn't he have to worry about what's for dinner and who can watch the baby so I can go to Zumba and have an hour to myself. We both work (and I love my job so I don't see myself staying at home anytime soon - not feeling that calling) and I think running the house should be a shared job.
Well, I had a bit of an eye opener the other day. Proverbs 31:27 (good old Proverbs 31 Woman to set me straight with my duties as a wife) says "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." I read more that a home is to be built with wisdom and realized that it is my job, from God, to take care of these things. Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord not men." I don't have to be "June Cleaver", but I do have to have a heart to serve the Lord at what He has called me to do, even if I work during the day.
So I realized that building a home does start with me and God has called me to this place in life. Not that Bruce is not to help me - and he does - but I can't complain as I am watching over the affairs; it is my job and I need to have a joyful heart about it. So, June Cleaver - look out!

No comments:

Post a Comment