Wednesday, November 30, 2011

So this is why I do this...

So it is no secret that my students are very, VERY, difficult this year. I had the same group last year because I taught 7th grade science and now I teach 8th grade. I have often told them that they are the worst behaved group I have had in 10 (now 11) years of teaching. Individually they are mostly good kids, but together...well I don't want to use that kind of language on my blog :)

I often try to have prayer time for my students because I know that is really what they need. I have to pray about my 1st hour on a very regular basis because they make me crazy and they bring out the worst in me 1st thing in the morning. Well, yesterday was no different. I know I may be the only Christian they meet and, for some of them, the only person who takes and interest in them. Some of them make it very difficult though. Well, I didn't even make it in the door for 1st hour before I had to yell (I mean my big girl voice) and I had to take a phone away from a girl with attitude! Well, by the time I went to take the phone to the office (about 40 minutes later) someone had taken it out of my desk drawer.

My heart just sank into my stomach. Even though my kids can be tough I have always trusted them. I try to treat them with respect and I expect the same from them (I think this is the most important thing my parents did when raising us). Most of their parents don't show them any respect at all, and that is why they don't respect their parents. Well, I was very upset to know that my students would get into my desk and just violate my space like that. I knew who probably did it. I didn't yell, I didn't scream, I just let them know how disappointed and sad I was by their behavior. I reminded them that I would never treat them like that and I was hurt to know they would do that to me. Well, I had really lost some hope when I went home last night questioning why I do this at all.

Well, when I got to school this morning the girl who I thought had taken the phone came to speak to me. She had tears in her eyes and a phone in her hand. She said she couldn't even sleep last night because she felt so bad for going into my desk and knew that I didn't respect her anymore. She said she was so sorry for what she had done and that she accepted her consequences. I reminded her that God had a way of making sure we knew right from wrong and that I had gained a little respect back for her.

I know these girls will make bad choices again, but I realized that I really am making a difference and God has a purpose for me here - no matter how bad it may seem some days.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear the story had a happy ending! There is no doubt in my mind why, you are an amazing teacher. Don't let the little %*&^( get you down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a way to start your day. I am glad she came to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi kels! thank you so much for your words of encouragement on my blog! it does make a huge difference with all the friends and family i have! i know that God puts people in my life for a reason (as well as a season) but i just want you to know how much your words meant to me. and i really love your blog layout...so want to copy it but i will find another cute one=) also, sorry to hear that your year has been so difficult. you truly are in the place God wants you and you are making a difference in your students' lives even if you feel defeated at the end of the day. kind of how i feel about parenting!!. i hope you have a good rest of the week! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad Amber. I know life is just tough sometimes. I often see how parenting and teaching do and will overlap, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete