Sunday, March 25, 2012

Home really is where the heart is...

I know this saying has been used a lot and has maybe even lost some meaning because of its over use, but, it really is true. I went to ABQ this weekend to help go through the last few things at mom's house that needed to be divided (I swear we have been doing this non-stop for the 2 years and we still have stuff in the garage we will have to tackle at some point). So, I stayed at mom and Bill's for the first time. I was a little nervous about how different it would be, but once we were there we just settled right in.
When I talked to Whitney and Meghan the next day they both wanted to know the same thing, "So, how was it? Was it strange?" And my answer, "No, it was fine. I felt totally at home." Whitney said, "Well, everything we do will always be different with out dad here; that is never going to change. But where ever Mom is that is home." She is so right. Even though we have TONS of memories in that house over the past 31 years that is not really where our home is.
Every time we go though a different stage or change the last couple of years we really have done well and it is ok. For some reason we keep being surprised and I really don't know why. The day after my dad passed away I laid there and prayed (and I know I wasn't the only one) for a man for my mom that would be kind and caring and make my mom happy and....fit into our family and, if he had kids, that we would all get along. So, why do I keep being surprised that God answered our prayers. He has always taken care of us before the need even arose so why do I keep thinking that something is going to be strange or difficult.
So, we will continue to find our new "normal" everyday with out Dad here, but we know where home will always be.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you felt at home. It is so amazing how God brought our families together and how it just works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Kelsey. My Dad has put my childhood home up for sale. My younger siblings are really struggling but I believe that as long as we are together as a family....that is where home is. There is no doubt that I have a lot of memories tied up in that house and I will miss driving down the lane and up the driveway but it is time for my Dad and Chyrl to move on. Definitely bittersweet.
    I'm so glad that your experience was a good one :)
    Love you friend :)

    ReplyDelete