Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thy Word is a Lamp unto my feet....

"Your word, O Lord is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens" Psalms 119:89

I received a special gift from my sister earlier this year.  She sent me my dad's Bible.  Just holding it makes me feel this little piece of him is here.  I have started to do my Bible studies out of it.  I love opening the soft pages and seeing his handwriting all over it and it is amazing.  If dad was still alive I think it might seem a little strange to read through all the notes and messages in his Bible, but now it seems like all these little messages left for me to discover. 
I grew up in a house where I knew the importance of studying the word.  I knew being a Christian was not just about going to church and doing good.  It is about having a relationship with Jesus Christ.  Well, how else do you get to know Jesus without spending time with him?  The best way to spend time with him is to be in his Word daily.  I often saw my parents reading and studying the Bible.  My dad was one of the best Bible teachers I have ever had.  I still remember him teaching the book of Revelation to our youth group - and it was wonderful.  I have always used my Bible.  I mean highlighted, written notes, marking the parts where I really knew God was talking to me.  I know some keep their Bible in pristine condition and don't think it should be written in; but I was taught to use it as a tool.  The Word of God is not just something you should read but something you dive into, whole-heartedly to get to know the Lord. 
Well, as I began to study out of my dad's Bible I saw how he truly loved the Word of God. 
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" Psalms 119:105
 Not only were there notes in the margins of many pages but he had important, go-to verses written on the inside and back covers of his Bible.  He had facts and roots of Greek and Hebrew words (thanks to Pastor Bob) at the beginning of different books. 


Dad is gone and he is still teaching me about what is important.  Reading his notes inspires me and touches my life.  Seeing how he studied the Bible encourages me to get to know my Master even better. 
"I have hidden your words in my heart that I might not sin against you" Psalm 119:11
Life is not easy and God allows us to go through some difficult times.  With His words hidden in our hearts we are more likely to make the right decisions and turn to God for strength during those time.  If we fill our hearts up with his loving words they will overflow out of our mouths and through our actions. 
I am thankful for the people in my life who have encouraged me to study the Bible and have been examples of this in their own lives; my dad and mom, Sherrie Shaffer, the Buells, Pastor Bob and many more. 
I have been challenged recently by the words of my Pastor (who is affectionately call "Mar" in our house) by this quote, "You really only believe the part of the Bible that you actually do"  This really hit home when he said it and I have been trying to apply it to my life. 
 Can others tell what you believe by your actions?

1 comment:

  1. That's freaking awesome!! Talking about guiding light from a tunnel of darkness! I think this was all planned for the greater good of your existence.

    ReplyDelete