Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Last Track Meet

Madelynn helping me at track.  She is so funny and bossy....I have no idea where she gets that from :)

My 1600M Medley team - they set a new Basin record with a 4:42.61
I can't believe that I have been coaching for 9 years.  At my wedding 10 years ago I met a guy named Coach Satagena and he introduced himself and then in the same breath asked me if I wanted to coach track in the spring.  I later learned that this was totally normal for him; he LOVES track.  Well, the next year I gave in and said yes and the rest is history.  Since then I have coached 7 seasons of Girl's soccer and 9 seasons of track.  Do you realize how many bus trips that is with noisy teenagers???  What was I thinking?! :)  No, all in all it has been an amazing experience.
Well, with the baby on the way and a VERY active 3-year old (almost), I have decided that it is better that I don't coach anymore.  It it tough to have both parents coaching.  By the end of soccer season Madelynn was complaining about going to practice everyday (granted as soon as it was over she wanted to go to soccer, go figure).  I had already quit soccer back in the fall and lamented about that in another post.  So, here I am at another crossroad.  I am sure as the season starts I will be sad to not be out there, but it is nice not to have that pressure anymore.  It will be nice not to have to deal with some of the parents (who ruin it for everyone).  It will be interesting to see how different our lives are going to be and what will fill that time.  I am sure it will fill quickly, it has just been such a part of my life for so long that it seems strange right now.
What a great end to a season though; my girls setting a new Basin record.  I was so proud of them.  Bruce helped me cut some time off their hand-offs and then I think the adrenaline drove them the rest of the way.  They beat the record by a whole second and in the wind (if you don't do running that is a significant amount.)  The record was 19 years old, set in 1994 by a Shiprock team.  My last season was not quite how I imagined it but it was still great.  
And here we go, onto another chapter....What will God have in store next?   

No comments:

Post a Comment