Friday, October 31, 2014

Constant experimentation...

About 3 weeks ago we found out Annika was allergic to milk and soy.   What have I been feeding her for he past year....ding, ding, ding, you guessed it MILK and SOY!  I was feeling like an awesome mom.  No wonder she has been throwing up her entire life and have barely double her birth weight.  It made me so sad that I had been doing this to her.  But I had to get over that and figure out what to do next.  I hate those "special" formulas that cost a fortune (unless of course I had no job then the government would pay for the, but because I have decided to help other kids, we would have to pay for it ourselves --- great system!) they stink and smell like dog throw up!  So after talking to my friend we decided to try coconut milk.  And as luck would have it, she loves it.  After 2 weeks on it though she really isn't gaining weight.  This always stresses me out!

Well, we finally made it to the GI in Albuquerque (I have been wanting this appointment for MONTHS).  He was not quite what I was expecting, but he did have a different insight to her throwing up.  He thinks many kids are misdiagnosed with reflux and really have esophagitis (inflamed esophagus).  So, back to the drawing board.  She will have a scope and biopsy in 2 weeks to confirm and them we will start treating with foods and medicine.  I have definitely found that the more specialized doctors get the less bedside manor they have.  I know this guy can help us, but I just wanted him to care a little more about what we had been trying instead of insulting our efforts and our choice to put her on a medicine that can be harmful.  This is when I am thankful that Bruce is in these appointments with us.  His response, "Well, we either put he on the medicine or she would have starved to death.  What would you choose?"  I love that man.  And he is sooo right.  Well, in his flippant tone he mentioned that the coconut milk didn't have enough protein.  Even though I felt a bit defensive at first (and he just like all the other doctors really had no suggestions for us) I realized that I could figure out ways to get more protein into her.  So, here we go again, trying something else.  Chicken, eggs, quinoa and beans.  Luckily she is such a good eater and she seems to like everything we have tried.  I guess we will see where we are in another couple of weeks.

As my uncles and dad would say, "That license on the wall is to PRACTICE medicine, they are experts either."  Boy have I seen this in the last year.  I feel like have have to constantly research and talk to other people to figure out what might help my kid.  Shoot I am going to be able to go into the medical field by the time she is grown (I actually am thinking of a second career already---but that is a post for another day).  I am thankful for the times we live in and that the "experts" are just a short drive away, bu sometimes if feels like an uphill battle.

So onto the next experiment.  All I have to say is, at least my little girl is happier and that makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment