Monday, October 27, 2014

The little things are big

I remember being at a cheer leading exhibition (I know, me at cheer leading but I was supporting a friend's kid) and Madelynn was sitting in my lab and for the first time she started clapping.  It was exciting, and I was worried that she was clapping at cheer leading (well, now when you ask her what she wants to be when she grows up she says a cheer leader and a dancer----trouble :) ) That is about all I remember about the experience.  From then on she clapped.

Well, Annika has given me a different perspective on the little things, that really don't seem so little anymore.  As we sat in the living room as a family I told her, "Clap Annika" and waited a few moments.  She started to bring her hands together and apart and together.  I couldn't believe what I saw.  "Bruce, look at this!"  I told her to clap again and it took a minute but she did it.  With tears trickling down my cheeks I saw that she really is in there hearing what we say.  (Yes, I knew she was but when you don't see those responses that other kids tend to give it is hard to tell and can be a bit discouraging).  I tried to get it on video, but of course, like all kids, she would not perform for me.

That little gift was so special and gave me more of a connection with my sweet little girl.  She does respond to our voices and laughs at her sister, but this is one of the first times she responded to directions and it made my day.  I can't wait to tell her therapist today!

Thank you God for the little things that seem so big.  Thank you for reminding us that you care about the small things in life and you know what we need, even if it is seeing our child clap their hands or give us a slobbery kiss.  You are sovereign and holy and I praise you for all that you do in my life everyday.  Thank you for the gift of Annika to remind me of this.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment